Sunday, February 22, 2009

Social media = social responsibility?

Mashable posed an interesting question in a blog post yesterday: Does social media make us better people?

At first I thought it might pertain to a topic that my friends and I discussed last week. We were debating whether social media brings us closer to our friends or farther away, and whether our relationships with people become more meaningful or less due to social networking. While it's probably clear which sides I took, I can see benefits and disadvantages of each, and I certainly don't mind sending the occasional letter via snail mail whenever possible.

But the article I read yesterday was more along the lines of social responsibility. Are we becoming more responsible and aware of our actions now that social media allows for scrutiny by our peers?

I would say the answer may be yes, as in the case of "Dog Poop Girl" in South Korea.

However, it also lends for people to become tattle-tales, so it's important to know where to draw the line between being judgmental and being responsible.

No comments: