Thursday, February 5, 2009

The love of the game

I'm fortunate enough to be able to say that I'm 22 years old and I've already met one of my life goals.

A group of UGA students came to visit the Capitol today, and we (the aides) had to show them around, give a tour, introduce our reps, and talk about all the wonderful experiences we're having up here. We went into the House and Senate Chambers, the Senate Mezzanine, the Coverdell Legislative Office Building (my office). We were in our element. Or at least I was.

It wasn't until I was walking down the north stairs of the Capitol with a box laden with folders and booklets and other information for the students that I realized that I made it. I did it. The one thing that I've consistently wanted to do since my senior year of high school - I'm doing it.

I am a legislative aide. I came to UGA wanting to be one, and I'm going to leave having been one. It's probably the most satisfying feeling - to have a goal and to reach it.

But I'm not just carrying around boxes and taking phone calls. Every day, I don't just check Rep. McKillip's mail and maintain his schedule. I am the head contact for his legislation. I make calls and talk to other reps about it. I talk regularly with the county clerk of commission, county attorney and superintendent. When Rep. McKillip has a question, I can usually answer it. If I can't, I can certainly find someone who can. I know his bills backwards and forwards. I know where they are. I know what they are. I know who they affect, who will be against them, who will be for them. How does a bill becomes a law? I'm living it.

I'm a pawn in the game of politics, but I'm in the game nonetheless. And while I will always have a passion for journalism, it seems that by the end of session, politics will come in at a close second.

No comments: