Tuesday, January 13, 2009

What it feels like to hit a home run

Yesterday was a "power day," according to my parents. Apparently, that's the term they use to describe a day when I knock one out of the park, or "kill it," as my dad put it.

Yesterday was the beginning of the 2009 Legislative Session and consequently my first day on the job. Besides accidentally locking myself out of Rep. McKillip's computer within an hour of sitting down at his desk, everything went extremely smoothly. In one day, I learned more about the legislature and how things under the gold dome really work than I have in nearly 17 years of school. Imagine how much I'm going to know after four months.

Throughout the day, Rep. McKillip didn't hesitate to put me to work, which I greatly appreciated. Adding meetings to his calendar, reorganizing his office, connecting his computer to the network, previewing the local legislation he'll be focusing on - it was enough work to keep me busy but not enough to be stressful. We got to know each other over pizza, and I flanked him at a reception at the Depot, mingling with other legislators and learning about plastics in Georgia.

I even got compliments on my suit AND coat, which pleased me more than I'd like to admit...

Until April, I'll be drafting letters and opinion articles, working with committees, getting up close and personal with legislators, and probably much more than I can fathom on the second day. Stay tuned. It'll be wild.

No comments: