Wednesday, January 14, 2009

State of the State in the State...Capitol

This morning at 10 a.m. Gov. Perdue gave the State of the State address, and this year I didn't watch it from the nearest television set.

I filed in to the top of the House Chamber with a few dozen other spectators to watch the governor give his address to the lawmakers who listened intently below us. All around me were journalists frantically taking notes, photographers snapping shot after shot, and aides anxiously listening to what would be in store for them in the next few months. The energy in the room was palpable.

As I realized where I was and what I was doing, I felt incredibly lucky and sort of like I was in a dream. Who would've thought I'd be listening to the governor's speech only a few hundred feet away from him instead of a few hundred miles?

There's a lot of work to be done in the next 37 days. Let's hope we can stay focused on what really matters - our state, our nation and our people.

2 comments:

David Weir said...

There is nothing quite like witnessing a state legislature in action to be able to convey to citizens just what their tax dollars have bought them. Keep writing!

Kelly Ann said...

Thank you!