Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Ready, set... go!

Yesterday I moved to Atlantic Station to start a four-month adventure in the big city.

It's been so long since I've been on my own that I forgot how much I thrive in this kind of environment. For the past couple weeks, I've been pretty anxious about the internship I'll start on Friday and about leaving all of my friends and the comfort of Athens. I found myself sort of wallowing in doubt and unhappiness last night, completely ignoring my natural impulses to be optimistic and excited about something like this.

But this morning, I woke up at 7:30 determined to change my tune. I showered, put on a professional-looking outfit and my new big-city coat, and headed for Atlantic Station to walk around.

I immediately rediscovered my independence. There were hardly any people around as I made a beeline for a nearby coffee shop, and as I padded across the brick walkways, the wind was whipping around my ankles and my hair. It was so refreshing. When I got to the coffee shop, there was a man waiting in line. "Do you work around here?" he asked me with a smile. "Sort of," I found myself answering. "I work at the Capitol."

After a quick trip to Publix, I safely navigated my way back to my apartment, feeling more and more confident by the second. It looks like this isn't going to be as scary and out of my element as I originally worried it might be.

1 comment:

Tait said...

Ready, set... go get'em!