Thursday, April 23, 2009

Facebook.com/no-way

I cringe every time I see Facebook make a move toward becoming a Myspace copycat.

There's a reason I don't use Myspace anymore. Actually, there are many reasons, one of them being exactly what Facebook is proposing to do next.

According to Mashable, Facebook is questioning users about whether they would pay to have a "vanity URL," such as facebook.com/kelly or facebook.com/snickerdoodle89 or facebook.com/ILoveMyBF.

Well, Facebook gets a big, fat "no" from me. One of the reasons I don't like Myspace is that it seems unprofessional and young in the way people interact with each other, especially through their URLs. Now don't get me wrong. I had my own cheesy username (myspace.com/stormyhaze), but my relationship with Myspace ended the day I left for college.

Facebook encourages people to be themselves and not to exist under a superficial persona. You operate under your full name, not a fake one, and unless you want to tarnish your reputation both online and in real life, you subconsciously monitor your actions and responses in order to maintain a likeable online personality. It also easily functions professionally when you decide to leave college life behind you for the real world and a real job. The more credibility Facebook has, the more likely it is to be used for professional purposes. The minute vanity URLs are brought into the picture, personal responsibility and professionalism fly out the window.

No comments: