Sunday, November 23, 2008

You've got mail

Lately, I've run into a problem with email addresses. I have two main email accounts: my personal Gmail and my college account. But since I'll be graduating soon, should I really be dishing out my college email if it's going to be stripped from me come May?

Looks like I'm not the only one with a problem. Boston College has decided to stop giving incoming students email accounts altogether. The basis of their decision? Most students already have an Internet identity established before coming to college. I can attest to that. Even though I have a college account, I forward it to my Gmail account so that I manage two emails from one place. And I'm out of touch with technology compared to my 18-year-old brother, who will be entering college next year and is already embedded within the Internet world through Facebook, MySpace, two email accounts, YouTube and other things that I've never heard of.

I support the decision to do away with college email accounts. It'll be a money-saver for the universities and give students more responsibility without making things more complicated for them.

1 comment:

Tait said...

I had not thought about this. You are quite right. I have my school e-mail as well as my others all forwarded to one. I guess when it comes to handing it out to people, I typically just use my personal e-mail.