Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election night adventures

Congrats, Obama!

Yesterday, I got to call in to the paper the precinct numbers of a neighboring county. It was a 30-minute drive to the courthouse where I was reporting from, and I got lost approximately four times on the way there. (Who builds their courthouse out in the middle of nowhere? With no signs?!)

The first precincts had already come in when I got there, so I was busy right from the get-go. Everything went without a hitch until the 18th precinct, which were the absentee ballots. Then all hell broke loose. The ballot machine stopped reading the sheets at the same time that they discovered hundreds of torn ballots that had to be duplicated. Luckily, I had a lot of reading to get done, so the six hours went by fairly quickly.

At 1 a.m., the final numbers came in, and I skeedaddled. Then, I got lost again on the way home.

No comments: