Monday, October 6, 2008

Aztecs - beneficial to journalists?

My editor is fascinated with the fact that I'm in an Aztec class.

I really am. I'm taking "History of the Aztecs and Maya" as an elective because I'm enthralled by ancient civilizations. Egypt, Italy, Greece, Mesoamerica - if it's BC or early AD, I'm happy. However, I never considered that my silly history electives would actually give me a leg-up in my career.

In a conversation with my editor, the VP of editorial for the company, and the Norwegian journalist I met, the topic of my class came up. As I promptly tried to change the subject, the Norwegian journalist wouldn't have it. He said that all journalism majors should have to take an Aztec class.

Of course, he didn't just want all journalists to know about the Aztecs (although, they were cool enough that it could potentially be a requirement). He wanted journalists to emerge from college with a well-rounded view of the world. A journalist should have his or her finger on the pulse of all aspects of society, whether it's a collapse on Wall Street or an epidemic in Nicaragua. One of the greatest things about America is its diversity, and to be a journalist in America means to be diverse. We have so many different cultures and histories represented in this country that in order to best serve citizens, we have to know where they come from - not literally every person, but figuratively. We have to be aware of existence outside of our own little bubbles.

So here's your homework. Go learn about the Aztecs or the Muses. Find something that you're interested in and stretch your knowledge beyond the Civil War.

No comments: