Monday, June 2, 2008

A breath of fresh air

Today was refreshing.

I never thought I'd have the opportunity to have lunch in a room with 100+ people who share the same passion as me. Now I can check that off my list.

I feel so honored and even unworthy to be treated like a queen by executives who have been in this business since before I was born. The moment we (the interns) walked in the door, everyone smiled and called us by name. The company held a luncheon in our honor and introduced us by asking us questions Tonight Show-style. Everyone went out of their way to say hello or pop their head into one of our meetings to catch another glimpse of us. It's unreal.

One of the executives took some time out of her day to speak to us briefly about the problems the company is grappling with in the face of a changing industry within a struggling economy. Sounds kinda boring when I put it like that.

But she said everything that I've been thinking in my head for the past two years or so. She talked about how the economy is bad right now, but that's normal. It's part of the cycle. It's nothing to get worked up over or obsessed with. Yeah, it means we have to work a little harder for a while, but there's always a light at the end of the tunnel.

And she also talked about how she is in the profession for the long haul because she believes in it. Just like me, she believes that the work we do as journalists benefits everyone. We are the voice of truth. No matter how bad the economy is or how difficult things may get, we are the ones who give the people what they need and what they want. And that makes us better people. Right now, journalism is no place for those who are in it for the money. The only people that this profession has room for are people who believe in it.

I've never felt such a sense of purpose before. And it's only Day One! This summer is going to be amazing.

No comments: