Sunday, June 1, 2008

The quest continues

Well, I'm off on another adventure!

Or at least that's what my mom calls it. I never really considered a summer management internship an adventure. But then I took into account the fact that, only a week after returning from a trip to Europe, I'm moving to a new city where I don't know anyone and won't see my friends and family for almost two months. Then, I started to agree with my mom.

But I like being out on my own. And I like being in a new place and not knowing what to expect. I'm a restless twenty-something - what's new?

I'm really beginning to like it here. After braving the intimidating I-20 construction and locating Wal-Mart without a GPS, I feel pretty confident in my ability to adapt to a new environment with ease. Even now, I'm deprived of Internet and cable and yet I can't find a single thing to complain about.

I have an amazing (free!) apartment, an awesome internship, some great fellow interns, the nicest bosses ever and a possible job offer at the end of all this. It's just all kind of surreal.

So tomorrow's my first day. I'm honestly not that nervous. Maybe I should be. Our HR contact told us little about what's going on tomorrow except to mention that at some point we're going to be sitting on a stage and answering questions...hmm....

So, it'll be interesting. But I definitely feel like I'll come away from this internship with a renewed interest in my profession and reassurance that journalism is my calling.

Management, here I come!

No comments: