Thursday, March 12, 2009

Crossover Day pride

It's going to be a long day at the Capitol. Today marks Day 30, or Crossover Day in legislative jargon.

This is the day when bills' fates are decided. After today, if a House bill doesn't pass the House or a Senate bill doesn't pass the Senate, it dies. Starting Tuesday, the House will only be debating Senate bills and the Senate will only be considering House bills. Thus, Crossover Day.



Luckily, most of our House Bills are already in the Senate - at least, the ones that matter. I've been tracking eight bills since Day 1, five of which directly affect Athens-Clarke County. Four of those are now in the Senate waiting to be put on the local calendar.

It's nice to be able to say that I've had a hand in their progress. I pushed them through the House, introduced them to the Senate, jostled them when they got stuck in Senate committees. According to Representative McKillip, this is the farthest his legislation has come in his three-year term. All along I've been sort of the invisible hand behind Rep. McKillip, and it feels good to know that this - getting four bills passed by the Georgia General Assembly - is a milestone, not just for me but also for him.

I'll give myself a quick pat on the back. Then, it's back to work.

No comments: