Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Online-only vs. print pub - who will emerge victorious?

I was very, very amused with all of the Large Hadron Collider paranoia today. Maybe it's the geek in me, but when I heard that Earth might get sucked into oblivion by teeny tiny black holes, I got pretty excited. And I have to admit, a small part of me was a little disappointed that we didn't get to see a black hole today.

GateHouse, a company that's pretty much flown below the radar in media news, has gone and done something rather rash. While they don't have a print product in Batavia, NY, they've launched an online-only news site that will directly compete with The Daily News, Batavia's print newspaper. Just looking at The Daily News' online presence makes me shudder.

I think it's a genius idea. This is the beauty of the Internet in action. No longer do you have to have mile-deep pockets in order to launch your own news/information product. The Batavian can give The Daily News a run for its money without having to incur the costs of a printing press or ink or distribution - just the cash that it takes to hire a tech guy and a couple reporters. Then, once The Batavian establishes its presence and starts to give the residents of Batavia what they want (not what The Daily News thinks they want), it can expand its operation and really go for the gold. I wish I could be up there to see it in action.

So who will win? Firmly-established print product or brand new online-only publication? I'm betting on The Batavian. Go get 'em, tiger!

No comments: